Friday, December 14, 2012

My Top 5 Christmas Films

A couple of weeks ago I posted a list of my favourite Christmas songs; now it's time to do the same for my five favourite Christmas films. So here we go.

Home Alone (1990)

This wasn't just one of my favourite Christmas films as a kid - it was one of my favourite films to watch any time of year. I was literally obsessed with it, and I rented it every week. Yes, you read that right. Every single week. I single-handedly wore out the tape... oops. The man in the video rental shop wasn't too impressed. Anyway, I eventually got my own VHS copy, but now the only time I actually watch the film is at Christmas. I watched it last Christmas Eve and I will watch it again this year. What's not to love? Kevin (Macaulay Culkin) is left behind while his family go to Paris for the festive season, and he is forced to defend his house against two totally inept burglars in the form of Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. Hilarious antics ensue. Classic.

Elf (2003)

Probably the funniest Christmas film I've ever seen. My abiding memory of seeing this in the cinema the day after Christmas in 2003 was of everyone howling with laughter (and returning home to find that my dog had eaten an entire cherry cake, but that's another story). Will Ferrell plays Buddy, a super-tall human who has spent his life being raised by elves in the North Pole, having been given up for adoption as a baby. After being told of his true identity, he makes the journey to New York City to find his father (James Caan). Along the way, he introduces his new family to the joys of spaghetti with syrup, assaults a department store Santa for being a fake and finds love (aww). Can he fit into the human world?

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
 

Incredibly, this classic was not a succcess when it was released in 1992, but has since been re-evaluated and is actually considered one of the best adaptations of Dickens. Michael Caine considers his role as Scrooge to be one of his most memorable, and it certainly is as far as I'm concerned, as for years I associated him with the character. And let's face it, who doesn't love the Muppets? A lovely and moving film (the sight of Michael Caine crying does strange things to my heart) with great songs. I remember the first time I saw it as a kid. I had just warmed to the loveable, bearded Ghost of Christmas Present, and then along came the scary-as-hell Ghost of Christmas Future, which caused me to hide behind the chair.

The Santa Clause (1994)

Another one which was on seemingly every Christmas Eve. Tim Allen plays Scott Calvin, a man who unwittingly knocks Santa off his roof, resulting in him having to step in as the replacement. At first he struggles to adjust to his new role, but with the help of his son Charlie, he soon gets into the swing of things. The problem is trying to convince everyone else, including his ex-wife, that he's not crazy, as Charlie is telling everyone that his dad really is Santa. Still one of my favourites, unlike the sequels, which are rubbish.

The Grinch (2000)

Based on the much-loved Dr. Seuss tale, I was obsessed with this for a while after it came out. To be honest, I can take or leave Jim Carrey, depending on the role he's playing. But he did a great job as the Grinch (brilliant make-up too). Also look out for sweet little Taylor Momsen, a far cry from The Pretty Reckless.

No comments:

Post a Comment